Each lesson is catered to what your needs are as a vocalist. In your first session with me, it is so important for us to assess the voice. I will ask you a few questions to get an idea of what you are looking to achieve vocally. But I will also ask you to sing a scale so I can hear your voice as it is.
Step 1: Assessment: I assess your voice and see what direction we need to take you in for training.
Step 2: Vocal Warm-up: Vocal warm-ups best suited for your voice, including SOVT work.
Step 3: Vocal Development: We then will focus on balancing your voice by giving you specific technical tools, vowel consonant combinations and scales. Working on your “mix” voice and transition to higher notes. Expanding your range. etc. This is all in the technique portion of the lesson.
Step 4: Application: During the later part of the lesson, we look at song phrases and apply technical tools to help you sing your songs better. Need help choosing repertoire, I can give you suggestions. Always best to start with songs you LOVE to sing, or if you are a songwriter, bring in your songs!
Performance and styling: Once you get to a certain level with your proficiency as a singer, and you have been practicing your vocal technique, the focus then becomes about performance. How can you keep your balance as your head out on stage to perform. How can you maintain your voice for a long tour etc.
Other Areas I Cover:
Here are some other areas I can cover in your sessions, depending on what your goals are:
- tips on how to keep your voice in good shape
- referral and liaison with local voice therapist or local Laryngoloists
- exercises designed for voice maintenance
- rehab exercises for singers who have had vocal injury and are cleared to sing again
Tour Prep for Singers
- currently on touring or gigging or performing frequently
- have experienced vocal fatigue or any vocal health issues
- need to ‘tweak’ their vocal technique for their performances
- set list consulting
- voice care consulting
- song selection consultations
- vocal technique training
- application to song
- performance technique training
Recording Artist Development
- songwriting consulting
- vocal arranging consulting
- vocal performance coaching (for stage and recording)
- musicianship training
- music career advising
Voice Instructor Mentoring
- vocal pedagogy studies
- education and curriculum coaching
- wellness for voice instructors
- consulting for their own clients